Sam McKay






Sam McKay
Sam, You have mentioned to myself and the group once or twice that you ran the New York Marathon in 2007. Can you tell us what that was like?
Thanks for asking as I could not remember whether I had told you about it. What an experience 40,000 competitors, 2 million spectators and 110 bands along the route. It was my first marathon and it was easier than I thought until the 39km mark when it literally felt like someone had shot my legs as I couldnt run. That ended up being quite frustrating as I watched a 3 hour finish pass by as I had to walk the majority of the last 3kms. Key learning was that you cannot cheat the kms required in training to run a competitive marathon, so wont run another until I commit to preparing properly to run sub 3 hours. The weekly WG Fitness sessions were critical in ensuring that I was able to finish in a respectable time.
I know Lance Armstrong ran that race as well. Did you see him at all on the track? And did you beat him?
I didnt see the great man, but he only finished 20 minutes ahead of me which was surprising given the difference in our aerobic capacity and his strong Triathlon background. He also ran with 2 personal trainers who kept him on schedule and provided food and drink. Have you done a marathon before, maybe something you should think about?
Niketown ran a promotion the day before giving away 2,000 of his Livestrong running tops, they ran out in 8 minutes.
Im assuming the race was run in the morning. What did you do for the rest of the day/ night after you had run the 42km course?
8am start so left the hotel at 5.30am. Had a great burger and fries after and then tried to keep walking so legs werent shattered. Early to bed as I flew to LA at 7am the next morning.
Did you stay at the Waldorf Astoria when you were in New York? **
Yep, I just drop your name to the doorman who upgrades me every time. He reckons youre the only guy who has ever walked into the lobby with his top off.
You and your lovely wife Sally have a one year old baby girl Sienna. How has your life changed since Sienna came along?
Nothing else matters apart from the health and happiness of Sally and Sienna.
You represented Australia in Triathlons can you tell us a bit about that?
Was lucky enough to compete as an age grouper when I was 21, definitely the best sporting moment/experience of my life. Accomplishing all I had hoped for after 6 months of intense training was very satisfying. It was also great fun as it was in a regional town in the US and had opening ceremony, school visits etc so got a small taste of what that must be like on the big stage.
You are a competitive bloke. Do you ever daydream about one day doing the Hawaiian Iron Man?
Only when I see the highlights, it would have to be the hardest individual sporting event on the planet. I remember going to Hawaii 1 week before and couldnt believe how oppressive the conditions were. To see the likes of the sister Madonna video on your website finish in a respectable time is inspiring. Maybe something for when I am older as they say you lose speed and build endurance with age.
You grew up in Melbourne but dont really follow AFL anymore preferring to watch Rugby League in your free time. Which NRL team do you support?
Your right I think I am one of the few people in Australia that occasionally watch the NRL, I suppose people in WA, SA, NT, TAS & ACT wouldnt because they dont have a team. Is the NRL a national competition? I am a big Storm fan and used to follow it closely in the early days of Lazarus, Bai, Smith, Kearney & Kimmorley.
Is it hard for you being such a passionate Collingwood man and living in Sydney?
Fox footy is a saviour and I try to get to at least 6 games a year. The Swanies match is always a highlight, nothing more amusing than stirring up a few of the locals.
Can you remember the very first time you saw the movie The Club (Australian made movie based on the Collingwood Football Club)?
Was at home with some friends at a young age, and from that moment I realised that I supported the most famous sporting club on the planet. What a master piece, might be worth having clips on your website.
I really thought that Renee Kink and Graham Kennedy were standouts in that movie. Your thoughts?
Definitely the Incredible Hulk Renee Kink. I used to be a massive WWF fan as a junior and the Macho Man Randy Savage was a favourite and very similar in appearance to Renee Kink.
You are currently the Managing Director of Jurlique beauty products. Whats the best thing about your job?
I am lucky enough to work for a brand that is well know and liked by consumers and represents values that I personally admire. I have a great team who are talented, passionate and fun to be around. Whilst the travel is demanding it is always an interesting/learning experience and nice to be able to catch-up with friends around the globe and take in a some local sport.
Your work hours are very long and you spend a lot of time travelling overseas. Any tips on how to stay fit and healthy when on the road?
No alcohol on the plane, run when possible as it is always a great way to see a city and a few burpees in the hotel room always help. The travel routines that you have been giving make a huge difference.
Sam, thanks for taking time out from your busy schedule to spend 5 minutes with Wayne. One final question. Lets just say Collingwood made the 2009 GrandFinal to be played at the MCG. On that same day you had the opportunity to have lunch one on one in Sydney with Barack Obama. What would you do ?
Wayne, unfortunately given that you follow ruby league where a big game attracts 95 people you would not understand the exhilaration of watching your team play in front of 100,000 at the MCG.
Easy answer, definitely Pies. Maybe the NRL GF could be the curtain raiser?
Thanks Wayne, love the new website.
** Footnote. Waldorf Astoria is the only Hotel I know in New York and I just love to say the name when the opportunity presents. Just in case anyone thought this was a stupid question.

Labels:


    Email Post!   Share